Thursday, January 20, 2011

IT

I watched "IT" last night, an old silent film from 1927 starring Clara Bow. I was amazed to see how modern it is; by the end of the feature, I didn't even remember I was watching a complete non-talkie! The beginning of the romantic comedy is what I saw in the film and what's really incredible is the birth of the it-girl, Clara Bow. She was one of the first sex symbols, an extreme flapper who appealed to the low class (since those were her roots). She was the original party girl, exposing stories about her sex life and bordering pure nymphomania (she supposedly banged the whole USC football team at the time). "It" was an absolutely fantastic film and for any girl who seeks to evoke that certain je ne sais quoi, I highly suggest the film. Bow is incredibly charismatic and the story is sweet, entertaining and pure hilarity. Even the style (totally passé) is still appealing. This film served to define a new term: the it factor, which by today's standards is still very relevant in our society. I'm the biggest romantic so it's no surprise that this love story comedy stole my heart. Nonetheless, it remains the most memorable silent social satire I have ever watched.



1 comment:

  1. stoked more commentary is making it into your blog! keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete